The establishment of the College was recommended by Dr. Cheverton, Chief Medical Officer who was impressed by a visit to Jirapa hospital in 1951. For the sake of accreditation by the Ministry of Health, Miss Marie White, a senior nursing tutor of Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital was assigned to see the suitability of Jirapa Hospital and to report her findings to the Nurses’ Board. The report was submitted and the permission was granted to start Qualified Registered Nursing (QRN), a one and a half year general nursing programme.
The QRN became obsolete and was replaced with the Enrolled General Nursing (EGN) in august 1969. The EGN was also replaced with three year State Registered Nursing (SRN) in February 1981. Since June 1999, the current Registered General Nursing (RGN) replaced the SRN programme.
The College is an agency institution under the Christian Health Association of Ghana (CHAG). It is managed by the catholic bishop of the Wa Diocese and subvented by Ghana Government with it’s human and material resources.
The College also receive applicants from anywhere in Ghana and even abroad.