The Nursing Training College, Jirapa was established alongside the Midwifery Training School in 1954 by the efforts of the white Catholic missionaries in Jirapa led by Rev. Sr. Cyprian Mary Swales of the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary (FMM), a trained nurse and midwife.
The establishment of the College was recommended by Dr. Cheverton, Chief Medical Officer who was impressed by a visit to Jirapa hospital in 1951. For the sake of accreditation by the Ministry of Health, Miss Marie White, a senior nursing tutor of Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital was assigned to see the suitability of Jirapa Hospital and to report her findings to the Nurses’ Board. The report was submitted and the permission was granted to start Qualified Registered Nursing (QRN), a one and a half year general nursing programme.
To continue training qualified, competent and polyvalent nurses whose 3 years training period will equip them with the needed knowledge, skills, moral standards and Christian values to cater for the health needs of their clients/patients.
“To provide high-quality healthcare in the most effective/efficient and innovative manner, specific to the needs of the communities we serve and at all times acknowledging the dignity of the patient by a highly motivated staff”.
The goal of the programme is to produce a polyvalent nurse who will practice nursing in any part of the community, country and sub-region.
The professional nurse would have acquired knowledge, skills and attitudes to recognize the total reproductive health needs of individuals, families and communities, and participate effectively in meeting those needs.
Key Objectives of the Programme
By the end of the programme, our trained nurses will be able to:
- Use the knowledge acquired in the principles of homeostasis to meet clients/patient’s needs.
- Administer prescribed medication to patients
- Use the nursing process as a professional tool for meeting the total health needs of individuals, families and communities.
- Develop skills and abilities for imparting knowledge and principles of health to student nurses and clients/patients by participating in the teaching of patients and mentoring nursing students.
- Plan and carry out health education based on identified health needs of the community by teaching and counseling individuals and groups of persons.
- Demonstrate leadership and administrative capabilities in managing health care units within the framework of national health policy.
- Demonstrate responsibility and accountability for professional actions by documenting and maintaining accurate and relevant intervention.
- Assist in generating knowledge through research and making use of evidence-based research findings.
- Demonstrate understanding of national policies and their relevance to nursing
- Demonstrate ability for continuous professional development and life-long learning in a changing society.
- Coordinate the health care activities provided for the patient by other categories of health care providers.
- Demonstrate and apply entrepreneurial skills in nursing and midwifery.
- Incorporate the use of nursing informatics in the care of patients and the analysis of data generating to improve care outcomes.
- Observe and report behavioral changes in patients.
On behalf of the school board and management, the management of Diocesan Health Secretariat the District Health Directorate, Regional Health Directorate, I welcome you to official website of the Jirapa Nurses Training College. it is our fervent hope our website will provide you with all the information that you seek.
The contents of this website gives you adequate knowledge on what it takes you to go through training at Jirapa Nurses Training College and its administration. As a student, your rights, privileges as well as your responsibilities that will guide your entire life in this institution are also outlined in this website
Please make time and go through our website and make part of you and at the end of your three years stay in this school you will come out as a disciplined nurse professional. Thank you and God bless your stay in this noble institution